- UFC boss Dana White said superstar Conor McGregor is anticipating a summer comeback.
- The Irishman hasn’t fought since breaking his leg in a 1st round loss to Dustin Poirier in July 2021.
- In another interview, White said he likes the odds of McGregor returning against old foe Nate Diaz.
The UFC president told The Jim Rome Show that he’d spoken to the former two-weight UFC champ recently and was told the fighter would be “ready to roll this summer.”
McGregor has not fought since suffering a broken leg in his second successive loss to Dustin Poirier at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in July last year.
After the defeat, McGregor delivered a wild, disturbing, and frenzied rant in the middle of the cage, and was taken to hospital for treatment on his broken bone.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission slapped him with a six-month medical suspension from fighting, which is standard practise, but White said at the time that he did not expect to see him return for an entire year.
Speaking more recently, White said that his calendar of events is filled until early May so it does not provide much leeway should McGregor want to return to pro fighting sooner.
However, he will speak to the 33-year-old in the coming weeks.
“We’ve got fights made right now up until May 2, so in the next three to four weeks I’ll be giving him a call and seeing how he’s feeling.”
McGregor could fight old rival Nate Diaz for a third time
There will be great speculation as to who McGregor could fight in his highly-anticipated comeback, but during an annual segment called “The Odds Game” on the UFC’s Canadian broadcast partner, TSN, White seemed to like the odds on Nate Diaz.
McGregor and Diaz have fought twice before. Diaz submitted McGregor with a rear-naked choke in their first bout in March 2016, before the Irishman rebounded with a decision win in the rematch that August. A third fight is required to decide the rivalry.
During the same segment, TSN reporter Aaron Bronsteter also asked White if he liked the odds on McGregor fighting twice or more in 2022, but the UFC boss seemed to think his star combatant would compete only once.
Courtesy By INSIDER